News & Updates
This news page is where you will find regular updates on SunLink services. Please sign up below to receive these updates via email or text.
Sep 11, 2020
Mask mandate update for travellers
Effective immediately, A non-medical mask or face covering with an exhalation valve or vent, a non-medical mask or face covering made with mesh or lace fabric, a neck gaiter, a bandana, or a face shield are NOT acceptable for air travel, in alignment with Transportation Canada as part of the continued response to COVID-19.
If a guest has only an exhalation type mask, neck gaiter or bandana, and no regular mask alternative (dual ply reusable or disposable), they will be denied boarding.
The Firebag Aerodrome (YFI) will be supplying approved disposable face masks to any outbound charter flight passenger who arrive with an exhalation valve mask.
Edmonton (YEG) and Saskatoon (YXE) Airport temperature screening areas will have Suncor supplied masks available as needed.
Calgary (YYC) Airport has two in-terminal retail locations (Relay and 7-Eleven) where approved masks can be purchased as needed.
Implications of not adhering to face covering policies on board aircraft - Passengers who do not have masks/face coverings or who refuse to use those provided properly, will be denied boarding to both commercial and charter flights. Travellers who are non-compliant onboard are subject to immediate future travel suspension on WestJet. Corporate Security will investigate the incident report and may prohibit travel on WestJet for a period of one year. Transport Canada may also investigate and potentially issue fines directly to the passenger of up to $5000.
Additional personal information requested from WestJet Customer Service Representatives at check-in- WestJet is beginning to request additional personal contact information at flight check-in to meet health contact tracing requirements. Guests will no longer be able to bypass the information screen and will be required to input up-to-date information prior to the issuance of a boarding pass. Guests remain responsible for providing accurate information. Refusal to comply will result in being denied boarding.
If you are travelling on any Suncor charter flight, please ensure your mask meets the following requirements:
- be made of at least two layers of tightly woven material fabric (such as cotton or linen)
- be large enough to completely and comfortably cover the nose and mouth without gaping
- fit securely to the head with ties or ear loops
- allow for easy breathing
- be comfortable and not require frequent adjustment
- be changed as soon as possible if damp or dirty
- maintain their shape after washing and drying
The following face coverings will NOT be accepted:
- Mask with an exhalation valve or vent
- Neck Gaiters
- Masks made of mesh or lace fabric
- A face shield
When travelling by air, you will be required to cover your mouth and nose:
- upon entering the terminal building
- at Canadian airport screening checkpoints
- while boarding your flight
- at all times during the flight
- when instructed to by a crew member
Transport Canada requires that guests who are unable to wear a face mask due to a medical condition, must present an official medical note from a physician specifying this exception or they will be denied boarding.
- The medical note must:
- be issued by a medical professional
- be on official letterhead
- be dated
- clearly state your name and that you have a medical condition that prevents you from wearing a mask
Thank you and travel safe,
There are no advisories in effect at this time.
Want these updates sent directly to you? Stay Informed by subscribing.